- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 bell (any color) peppers, finely chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt, fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream
In a heavy pot or Dutch oven cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat about 5 minutes, add the bell pepper and cook for about another 5 minutes until the peppers soften.
Add in the chopped jalapenos and all of the dried spices, including the cocoa powder, with a healthy pinch of salt. Mix everything together for about 2 more minutes, then add in the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until the meat is no longer pink.
Add the tomatoes and bring the entire mix to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 20-25 minutes until the chili has thickened slightly. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and sour cream.