- 2 15 ounce cans black beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, jalapeno, and chilies in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder along with the beans (with their “juice”) and the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, simmering for about 15 minutes.
Remove about 3 cups of the coup and puree in a blender, then return to the pot. Add in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.