Chilled Bean and Tomato Soup
- Two 16-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14- to 16-ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped mild green chilies (fresh or canned), optional
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables stock or water, or as needed
Combine the beans, canned tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro or parsley in a food processor or blender and process until well pureed. Transfer to a large serving container and stir in the lemon juice, chili powder, and cumin.
Place the green pepper and fresh tomatoes in the food processor and pulse on and off 2 or 3 times. Add the olives and pulse on and off quickly, 2 or 3 times more, or until the vegetables are finely chopped (approximately 1/4-inch pieces).
Stir into the bean puree, then add the chilies if desired. Stir in enough stock or water to achieve a medium-thick consistency. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve garnished with diced avocado and scallion.
Banana Coconut Soup
- 2 pounds bananas, peeled and diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 cups canned cream of coconut
In a large bowl, combine the bananas, lemon juice, pineapple, yogurt, ice cream, rum and cream of coconut. Ladle into a blender in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.