- 1 pound pearl onions, peeled (fresh, or thawed from frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorn
- zest of one lime and one lemon
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry white vermouth
Set aside the onions and vermouth. Add everything else to a medium pot and simmer for about five minutes, until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Add the onions, and bring to a boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
Let cool to room temperature and stir in the vermouth. Transfer to a jar and leave at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate overnight before using.