- 2 1/2 cups peaches, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly greated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Pre-heat griddle to medium-high heat. Combine peaches with lemon juice and sugar, set aside.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. In another bowl beat the egg whites, with the salt, until stiff. In a third bowl mix together the buttermilk, maple syrup, egg yolks, and melted butter.
Pour the buttermilk mix into the flour and stir, then gently fold in the egg whites. Finally fold in the diced peaches.
Lightly butter the griddle and cook each pancake until golden brown on each side. Serve with more syrup or ice cream.
Makes about 20 4 inch pancakes.